Monday, July 30, 2007

Where do cats go when they die?

I’m heartbroken. I miss my Sammy. I know in time it will get easier. Sammy wasn’t just my pet. She was my friend, confidant, security blanket and my history. She was there through most of my childhood, my teenage years and my twenties. If you didn’t know Sammy or my adoration of her then you probably don’t know me very well. She was a gift to lift my spirits and she never stopped cheering me up the entire 20 years. I feel immense guilt for making the decision to put her to sleep. I know it was the best thing to do. Her kidneys had shut down and she was uncomfortable & unable to eat, sleep or go to the bathroom. It’s still a tough decision to make. I keep wondering if there was something else I could have done to “fix” her. I hope she’s okay wherever she is. Maybe it’s hard for me to feel good about my decision because I’m not sure if I believe in heaven. I struggle with this every time someone I love dies. I’d love there to be a heaven but I have no proof of its existence. How heavenly can a place be when you’re separated from your body and those you love? Everything Sammy loved isn’t there. Me, El Pollo Loco scraps, Fancy Feast, being scratched under her chin by Stephen, hugged by me and laying on the living room floor. All those things are here on earth. I don’t recall them opening an El Pollo Loco in heaven and our living room floor is definitely still in Whittier. The heaven I imagine doesn’t impress me or comfort me. If you don’t take your body with you then how could you enjoy life's pleasures after death? Would you be able to enjoy Filet Mignon if there was no need for food? Can you kiss in heaven? What about drive down the coast? I don't want to be in a place without those things. I remember the day when my dad told me that the body is only a shell and that only your soul goes up to heaven – I was confused & horrified! I still am after 25 years! Leaving my body behind, happily floating around somewhere for eternity & chillin with God (I hear he’s so judgmental! LOL!) doesn’t sound like my kind of fun. If it’s so great then why are people so scared of death? I’ve been waiting for Sammy’s spirit to come visit but I guess she must be happy wherever she’s at. Maybe her little kitty soul is floating around the living room? It meant so much to have Sammy put to sleep in our home. It was sad, and ugly, but at the same time, beautiful that she died with family and in the comfort of her home & in her favorite spot. I got to hold her little hand through it all. I was happy we could do that for her. 20 years of friendship earned that respect. The past few weeks have been hard, even before Sammy took a turn for the worse. I’ve been dealing with some disappointments, sadness, Rose’s death, changes at work and trying to sort out some things in my head. Right when I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel I got hit by a brick – actually a couple of bricks in the same week. I know I’ll be fine soon. Through these tough times, at least I find comfort in my family & friends. Thanks guys! Stephen, thank you for all you did for me & Sammy, for the gorgeous flowers, the very special card & for getting me out of the house this weekend. I had the best time. I love you!!!

Thought of the day: Please comment of your idea of heaven. I’ve been struggling with this concept since childhood…maybe someone can convince me that it’s not just hype. I’m not swayed by clouds, angels and harps so give me something good. Give me an intriguing concept to ponder.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

surrounded by a sky of orange and red with a sunset that goes on and on but just never really goes away. a couple of very big trees with a hammock strung across to lay in and enjoy the surroundings of tall green grass mountain ranges and a nice cool breeze.

Anonymous said...

They go to a beautiful place where they are no longer in pain.. It is the most beautiful and amazing place where they can run free and be happy and get all the tuna they want.
In Memory Of My Little Man Salem 5/24/02-1/4/2008

Donovan said...

I had to sit last night with my cat Franky as they put him to sleep as his liver failed, he was only 4 years old and I loved him so much. He has been there with me through downs and ups and I feelt like I let him down cause I cauldnt help him and didnt want him to suffer. I wish I could have done domething. I miss him and look for him outside , wish he would come back.

Anonymous said...

I just was wondering where do they go? My beloved cat passed away this morning. And I can't stop crying and missing him.I hope they are all together in a beautiful place, or just around us, right here and right now. Hugs. Lil

Anonymous said...

me cat died last night she got hit in the head by a car i think they go to animal kingdom and comes to visit us evrey day

Anonymous said...

my cat got run over 2 days ago. He was only a year and a half old. Two older cats had been bullying him and they may have caused him to run out in the road. I am devastated. I thought he would live a long time and live with our family until I was 60.

Anonymous said...

My Kitty Football was Only 11 Months Old, and was killed Horribly in the Early Hours of the Morning by a car - we Loved him Dearly and gave him everything he needed... He was a Healthy Boy, Had Loads of Toys, Got lots of Attention and the occasional "talking too" by his Daddy :( Problem is now his Brother (Not Blood related) is left alone, Should we get a new Kitten 2 Months Old or so?? and Let Scholes Learn to Love a New Cat in the House - Please Help!!

Madhavi said...

I put my beloved cat to sleep on Tuesday because of oral cancer. It breaks my heart. I miss her so much. I hope her little spirit comes to visit her home and the ones who loved her. I also hope that she is free to go wherever she wants in her spirit world.

Anonymous said...

My beloved cat died yesterday, I held him in my arms night and day for 2 weeks and did everything I could to save him. I just couldn't and I felt I let him down. Now I look for him in every corner in the house, I can hear him meowing, purring and I can feel his presence all the time. Call me mad but I do feel he is still here in another plan where I unfortunately can't reach him. I am in such pain it is unbearable. All my sympathies to those who lost their best friend and companion. God bless you all

Anonymous said...

My baby "micho" died last wednesday. He was my little brother. I swear to god, he acted human. He played with me, fought with me, comfort me, even made sure i was never upset cause he would bite me then run away..lol. I miss you micho wherever you are. You are an amazing creature.I still feel you around me. I wish I could see you one more time. I miss how you used to hide behind the wall and scare me, then I started to chase you around the house...my friend, my buddy, I'm so heartbroken. I miss you alot and I know I will see you one day. You were there for me in my childhood, teens, and twenty's. I love you my baby micho. You were one of a kind, and I would never forget you. Love you, your big brother

Anonymous said...

My cat had to be put to sleep this morning because he had kidney failure and he got looked at 2 days before the day after when the vet told us the outcome was grim i broke down and wept i felt so helpless we had the choice to let him come home for a few days then go back to be put down or do it the day we get there at the time i wanted him to come home for a few days and give him so much fuss but the morning after they rang us up and said we had to give a descision and he had vomited and had diarea so we said today would be best for him because all we were doing was delaying it so we made the descision for today the night before i was looking at how to deal with the pain and it said being there for your pet during euthinasia can be the final desture of love so i went down and fussed him so much and tried my hardest for him not see me sad it was the hardest thing iv ever had to do but i knew he needed it then when we bought his body home we buried him and it feels like some has just gone inside me and ripped every feeling out but now hours iv had time to think about and giving him that painless death feels like it was definatly the best thing to do and i feel much better now but dont get me wrong its going to take years to fully recover but iv heard someone say "earth could be hell" so this made me think about it and the other phrase "life is not fair" finally made justiceable sense so if your pet has passed on the have either ascended from hell so theyre either waiting for you to go up to heaven with them or simply gone up and is prob getting everything they want but you shouldnt have the thought "i cant see the point of living any more" because your loved 1s would want that from you and try talking to someone about it who has been through the same because it has given me alot of comfort hope this helped

Kylee said...

EVERYWHERE I read said that cats clearly go to heaven. If you believe in God, you will go to heaven when you die and there you will be reunited with your furry friend. My cat just died an hour ago and It made me feel better when I read that I will see him again in Heaven.

MonikMyBelovedCat said...

When I read your post, I thought about my cat because she passed away this morning. She had heart failure and for ten days she was struggling. Although, I've always thought that she'll get well. Unfortunately, things didn't go well. She was 20 years old, she was my best friend, my little sister, my childhood memory. She died on her favorite place; my brother's bed where she always sleeps. Now, I think that she's happy and she's watching me from the heaven and waiting for me. When I get there near her, we'll knock on heaven's door together.

Anonymous said...

last night we lost a huge part of us Tiger Lily passed away . Though she was only one and a half she had a great life! She will be missed!See you is Heaven Baby!

Gc said...

In the new book "In Heaven Kittens Play," author Nick Sacco shows us that the loss of a pet through death is not the end but only the beginning. A special garden cared for by a loving angel awaits those creatures who pass over. There they play in peace and without fear, forever loved by this special being.



One of the editors noted that it was a good way for both kids and adults to understand and cope with the death of an animal, or even a person. It's a wonderful, inspiring book that reveals to its readers the mystery of where our pets go when they die. As an expert with years of animal rescue experience he explains to the reader a wonderful after life of angelic beings who await all of our beloved pets.




This book falls into so many categories; spirituality, healing, coping and inspiration, that we find it hard to know which editor to send it to. Nick is currently touring the Midwest sharing the message of his book with pet lovers, animal rescue organizations, church groups and Veterinarians. He answers questions about pets and death that other books and publications have not touched upon.



More information is available at http://www.nicksacco.com

Anonymous said...

My cat Baby of 20 yeas just passed away this morning before I could get her to the vet. I find it hard in losing her, but I'm sure she is in a better place and that one day we will meet up again.