Thursday, July 05, 2007

Rose

I received the sad news that my old manager/old co-worker/dear friend/ Rose passed away sometime at the beginning of this week. I'm still in shock and I'm not sure if I even believe it's true. It can't be! I just saw her last week! We had a fabulous lunch, a decadent dessert and bottle of champagne. We talked and laughed. She was full of hope and excited about the possibly that her new treatment was going to work. She told me she wasn't ready to die. She talked about a doctor that had left her with no hope and suggested grief counseling. She had just found a new doctor who was willing to help her. Giving up and having no hope was unacceptable to her. She had so much more she wanted to do. Short term goals like finally getting the chance to watch the last episode of Grey's Anatomy, planning a Happy Hour and going with her daughter to see Wicked. Then there were bigger dreams of opening a Champagne bar, traveling, seeing her grandchildren grow up and finding love again. It's so unfair. I'm so glad I got the chance to know her. Despite all the crap that went on at UW I was able to come away from there a better person and with many experiences and wonderful friendships. I'm thankful for our last lunch together and I'm glad that we picked champagne instead of plain old wine. Life's short so drink it up.

No comments: